The Castle of São Jorge - National Monument includes the prime area of the medieval citadel (fortress), consisting of the castle, the remains of the old royal palace and part of an elite residential area.
The fort, built by the Muslims in the mid-eleventh century, was the last bastion of defense for the elite who lived in the citadel: the Moor mayor, whose palace was nearby, and the elites of the city administration, whose houses are still visible today the Archaeological Site.
After the conquest of Lisbon on 25 October 1147, by D. Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, to the early sixteenth century, the Castle of St. George met his heyday as an area courtier. The old buildings of the Islamic period were adapted and extended to accommodate the King, the Court, the Bishop and install the actual file in one of the castle towers. Transformed into a royal palace for kings of Portugal in the thirteenth century, the Castle of St. George was chosen to receive national and international renowned individuals to perform celebrations and acclaim up over the Kings XIV, XV and XVI centuries.
With the integration of Portugal in the Crown of Spain, in 1580, the Castle of S. Jorge gets a more functional military character, which will remain until the early twentieth century. Spaces are converted, new ones arise. But it is especially after the Lisbon earthquake of 1755 which dictates a more substantive renewal with the appearance of many new buildings ranging hiding the oldest ruins. In the nineteenth century, the whole area of the national monument is occupied by barracks.
With the great restoration of 1938-40, rediscovers up the castle and the remains of the old royal palace. Amid the demolition then carried out, the old buildings are redeemed. The castle regains its glory of yesteryear and is returned to the enjoyment of citizens.
At the end of the twentieth century, archaeological research promoted in various areas contributed in a unique way to establish the antiquity of occupation on the hilltop and confirm the inestimable historical value which justified the classification of S. Jorge Castle as a National Monument By Royal Decree of 1910.
The testimonies of these experiences of the past are now made known at the Permanent Exhibition and flyable in Archaeological Site.
$10 / person*
* starting from